Sunday 29 September 2013

First Day of Bikram Yoga

I tried Bikram yoga twice in February of this year. I enjoyed it at the time but, for some reason, stopped going even though I had purchased a 30 day unlimited yoga pass. Not this time! I am writing this blog not because I like telling everyone what I do everyday but as a tool to help me to stick to my goal of attending as many Bikram Yoga sessions as possible in the next 30 days. At the end of the 30 days I will have to decide whether my new hobby is worth the pricey "tuition" of regular membership.

Yesterday was my first Bikram yoga class in several months. I went out and purchased a new yoga matt, a hot yoga towel (from Marshalls), a new pair of shorts, an overpriced hot yoga top and an insulated water bottle that I was told would keep my water cold in the 104 degree room temperature. I figured that if I spent all of this money on yoga accessories I would be less likely to quit again.

My first day did not go so well. Each Bikram class starts with a breathing exercise. I was able to handle that no problem. There is also a rule that you cannot take a sip of water until a few exercises into the practice - a rule that I begrudgingly followed. The group instructor cautioned us that it was okay to sit down and rest if you need to. I definitely needed to after only the 3rd or 4th pose. This was more than a little embarrassing for someone that considers herself a seasoned athlete. Despite my early and frequent rests, I eventually gained a second wind and was able to complete the second half of the class without an unscheduled break. I was happy to survive my first day of Bikram.

By the end of the session I actually felt pretty good. Last night by back felt better than it had felt in a long time. I spent the evening reading on my BlackBerry PlayBook about the benefits of Bikram Yoga and was happy to see that there were many more benefits than just increased flexibility.

This morning I have some mild soreness in my shoulders/neck and lower back. It is not the usual muscle ache that I feel after a hard day at the gym, but rather a dull feeling that I have been stretched out similar to the feeling that I get after going for an intense deep tissue massage.

My instructor told me that it is best to return and do a second Bikram class soon after your first. Based on these instructions, I am going back to class today.

No comments:

Post a Comment